Friday, April 24, 2020

One Grand Adventure

So yes, we went on a few truly amazing vacations since I last posted on here regularly. It's our favorite thing to do! I'll try to catch up and post about most of them in the upcoming weeks. One of the trips I'd like to show you is one of our three cruises from 2019- we went to Cuba in April of that year. Yes, we were fortunate enough to sneak in a trip to this beautiful island, before the doors got slammed shut again. I feel so lucky to be able to put this destination on our list of places we've visited. We booked it as soon as the cruise lines started sailing there. I told my husband we HAVE to go because I just knew in my heart the current administration would ban travel again, and they did of course. Sadly we had friends who had booked their cruises there already, and they were cancelled, so they didn't make it there. So thank you Carnival Paradise for such a magical trip!


Our cruise left out of Tampa, which enabled me to have a quick visit with all my family down there in my hometown of Bradenton. We had one of our favorite types of cabins- the aft balcony. We love being on the very back of the ship, you just can't beat that panoramic unobstructed view! The ship's first stop was in Key West, one of our favorite destinations and, by the way, where we got married. We didn't take a tour here, we've already been so many times and we've done just about everything there. Although this was our first "cruise" here, because normally we fly to Miami, drive down and stay for awhile. We walked around to our favorite spots- ate lunch at DJ's Clamshack (where you can still see the license plate sign James made for them years ago, hanging on the wall), we went to the Hemingway Home because we were missing our kitties, we did plenty of shopping, and we just strolled up and down Duval because when you're in Key West, that's what you do. That and eat key lime pie on a stick, which of course we did. I say it's the closest thing to being on a tropical island without leaving the US. I was born and raised on the beach in Florida, of course, but I can never get enough of the Keys. And don't think I haven't thought about living there one day. But I don't like hot weather!!


We made it to Cuba, coming into Havana during the predawn hours and staying overnight. James and I booked an all day long tour. Normally we don't book excursions, we do our own thing, but in Cuba we had to book at least one guided tour in order to visit. Afterwards we were on our own- we could have spent the whole night dancing and partying away- but truth be told after walking around ALL day and seeing so many wonderful things, we didn't do anything other than the tour. We were tired! We started off at the port, and went on a quick walking tour with our guide through the old city. We saw museums, gardens, and stunning architecture. I was so impressed with the buildings, I couldn't stop taking photos. Of course I couldn't read most of the signs or plaques on any buildings, but our guide did a wonderful job of pointing everything out to us.


We then took a comfortable bus ride over to the Fortress of San Carlos de La CabaƱa. Of course the first thing we did there was buy coffee, rum, and cigars at their gift shops. We were fortunate, we were the first tour group there so we had the place to ourselves for awhile. Then it got crowded. It was a beautiful place to walk around, gorgeous views of the city and our ship, and it was early enough the weather was pleasant while we were strolling along the brick pathways. We found a few local vendors set up there, but the coffee was the only souvenir I wanted!

 

We drove around the city for quite awhile. Of course everyone wants to see the old American cars, and it's no joke. They are absolutely everywhere, in every shape and color! Most are used as taxis and for tours, and everyone seemed to have a convertible. Our guide informed us that many of the cars were handed down in the family, for several generations, and it was a form of pride to have one and take excellent care of them. Our driving tour included government buildings, parks, museums, and schools. We saw the closed down American Embassy, which looked a bit sad sitting there. We drove along the coast, and it was beautiful. I can tell you this, from our experiences cruising to "islands" this was the cleanest city I've seen so far. It's very urban there obviously, so I was impressed with the city streets. I've had people tell me "oh they only take you where the government wants you to see" and that may be true. I tried to take as many photos as I could from the window of the bus, but sadly a lot of them came out blurry! We even drove by a park where they had a statue of Abraham Lincoln. Our guide explained that Cuba has long had a deep love of America and the American people. Maybe that was propaganda, but I could see that he truly meant it and he was quite emotional. I confess, for a long long time I thought NO ONE could go visit Cuba. I was mistakenly under the impression that Cuba had closed itself off to the world. Then I found out nope, it was the other way around, the US government didn't allow us to go there! The rest of the world had long been enjoying Cuba.


 

With the bus part of the tour over, there was more walking. We stopped briefly at a local senior center, where some absolutely lovely ladies entertained us with their dancing and singing. They were sweet and genuine. After that we had lunch at La Bodeguita Del Medio. Famous for being the original home (so they say?) of the Mojito, as well as a favorite haunt for Ernest Hemingway and many other celebrities. It was a crazy packed happy loud place, and we headed upstairs for a private room. Yummy food and, even though I don't drink alcohol, everyone in the group gave thumbs up for the free libations. I had a local cola and it was delicious.

 
 

We finished the tour with more walking, through old plazas and courtyards, and looking at churches. The breezes blowing through the carefully laid out streets was extremely nice. Growing up in Florida, I equate "tropical" with hot and muggy, but the temperatures were mild. Before we headed back to the ship, the group stopped on a street filled with shops. We went in a few, and I bought more coffee! And then of course, we found a sweet little street cat to keep us company while we waited for the rest of the tour group to finish their perusing.



It's sad that this historical and beautiful and amazing island is closed back up to the cruise ships now, thanks to the current occupant of the Oval Office. I won't make any statements about that here, but I have my strong opinions. My nephew was also able to visit, taking a cruise right before us. But most people I know, unless they are avid cruisers- or not Americans- have never visited Cuba. And that's a shame. If we could go back again, we would, it was a wonderful day that we'll put very high on our list of travel experiences. Perhaps one day, when the heads of state are more open-minded and don't live in the past, Cuba will just be like any other place on this planet. Cuba has millions of non-American visitors and tourism is their number one industry. As it should be, because Old Havana is really a stunning jewel of a city.



I don't pretend to understand the politics behind cruises no longer being allowed to go to Cuba. I mean, it was abrupt, literally ships ON their way to Cuba couldn't go. It happened just weeks after our trip. I'm sure someone could give me a lecture on why this happened, but I'm not really interested. I just think it's a shame it's closed back up again. Yes, I'm in my 50's and I'm old enough to have studied Communism and Cuba back in high school. And yes, before our trip some of the older family members expressed safety concerns for us (apparently they've never been to Jamaica!) but I can tell you we felt extremely welcomed and the people we came in contact with were absolutely delighted that Americans were there. "We love America!" and we heard that a lot, and I don't understand why America doesn't love Cuba back. Our funny, warm, friendly tour guide must have told us a hundred times how happy he was to be with us and how proud he was to show off his home. As well he should be!!
SANDY

No comments:

Post a Comment