Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Part One

We got started on our Thanksgiving trek on Wednesday after work. We weren't able to get a really early start, as we both had to work that day. We were greeted with the same sight that probably most every other traveler was that evening- a long line of red tail lights in front of us on the interstate. It didn't surprise us, I know Thanksgiving is the most heavily traveled holiday. And of course, the major interstate of I-75 goes right through Atlanta. We avoided heading through downtown and took the bypass around the city, but it was still bumper to bumper with folks just as anxious as we were to start the holiday season off!

We made it to just north of Atlanta, and we decided to take a quick dinner break. We called our friend David, who lives in Marietta, and he met us at Big Pie In The Sky, a slightly infamous pizza joint which gained its fame from the show "Man Versus Food" on the Travel Channel. The slices of pizza here are SO big, you don't get plates- you get your own individual pizza pan to eat on! I figured it would be dead, just hours before Thanksgiving morning, but I was very wrong. The place was packed, the line was to the front door, every seat at every table was filled and people were streaming in and out to pick up orders. The "medium" size pizza, which is what we ordered, states it feeds 4-6, and takes over an hour from time of order to table-side delivery. The large pizza is a whopping 30 inches! Not only were they the biggest slices of pizza I've ever seen, it was also quite delicious and worthy of the detour.

We got back on the road later that evening, and some of the traffic had died down, and we finally made our way over the state line. It was late, but a cozy room and bed awaited us at a brand new shiny Fairfield Inn & Suites in Cleveland, Tennessee. I'm glad my husband made reservations in advance, because I heard the clerk at the front desk tell someone over the phone they were booked up. We settled onto the couch in the living room to watch a bit of TV and wind down, but the bed was too tempting and we were in it within the hour. We awoke the next morning to the sounds of the vet techs at the kennels nextdoor, walking the dogs who weren't lucky enough to travel with their families.

The next morning we headed into Knoxville, to the home where James grew up, and where his parents still live. We got there about 10:30, before anyone else, but lots of company started to arrive shortly. My in-laws have gorgeous property and I just love coming there each and every trip, no matter what time of year. Fall just seems to bring out the beauty of the property, with the colors of the leaves and the sweeping open skies overhead.

We met the newest member of the family, Missy, who just joined the Truan household a few weeks ago. Missy was found after what surely was a long and harrowing episode of living on her own outside. Her coat was long and matted, she had sores on her body. But now she has a new home with a loving family, and she is already getting spoiled by my mother-in-law. She still seemed a bit shy and unsure, but she was super friendly and played with her toys and enjoyed the attention. She was happy to see everyone that day, and we were delighted to meet her. But we made sure we also gave out plenty of petting and attention to Joppa, who has been ruling the roost on his own for awhile now.

We had a huge spread, and James' mom Carol worked very hard and was busy getting everything ready while we all visited with family and got caught up on each of our lives. We had turkey, gravy, dressing, roasted veggies, green beans, corn, cranberries, salad, baked mac and cheese, potatoes, and I'm sure other items I'm forgetting to mention. There were so many choices that day, I didn't even get to taste everything, despite eating until I was stuffed. Then of course we had wonderful pies from pecan to pumpkin to Granny's million-dollar pie, and the family favorite chocolate chip pie. We even had turkey shaped cupcakes!

We even celebrated James' dad David's birthday, which was the next day on Friday but we decided to enjoy it while everyone was gathered. There was a wonderful cherry crisp, but we were all too full to do anything but look at it and admire it when he blew out the candles. Seems like everyone had the same gift-giving ideas this year and went to Bass Pro Shops!

Eventually the festivities started to wind down, and unfortunately we had to leave that afternoon because I had to work on Friday. As we got on the road, the dark clouds hovered over us. The local news was calling for possible flurries that evening, but I don't know if they got any or not. I wish we could have stayed to find out, but it was back on the road for home.

Stay tuned for Part Two.....

No comments:

Post a Comment