Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Home Improvements

Not much going on at the Truan household right now. We stayed in this (very very hot) weekend to get a few chores done around the house. James is still busy installing extra shelves in all of our various closets and pantries. I spent the weekend potting a few houseplants I picked up at Home Depot for two and three bucks each. I had a big collection of old pots down in the basement, just collecting dust, and decided it was time to bring them upstairs and get some use out of them.

Keeping the cats out of the plants is my main issue, they've been known to decimate one in no time. And although I sprayed them all with Bitter Yuck, they still had to check everything out. Spider found them right away, but General (below) is the worst offender. Even with the thick coating of stinky spray, his curiosity still got the better of him. And yes, I am the crazy woman who allows the cats up on the kitchen counters and dining room table and all over the furniture. We do have five, after all, and I can't watch them every second of the day, so I caved in and surrendered to it a long time ago...







James also installed a new light in my laundry room, and I really needed it in there. Although this house is brand new, it does have minimal (and cheap) lighting fixtures, which really gets on my nerves. As time and finances permit, we will eventually get them all changed out. Lowe's had this particular light on clearance awhile back, and we bought a few of them. Only $30, and I think it's gorgeous. The laundry room is almost done, just a little touch up paint required, and the final shelf installed, and it will be complete. Can't wait! James did a really nice job.





I also finally finished repairing and repainting the old weathervane, and James installed it on the back deck. It's fairly heavy, and doesn't move too easily with the breeze, but we put it out there for decoration more than anything else. I've priced nice weathervanes in catalogs and online, and I think we did pretty good for our $5! I used spray paint that I already had, and I think it turned out well. Where else was I going to find garden art with a black cat on it, unless I did it myself!



Below is the great deal I got at Kohl's over the weekend. No, I don't need another purse, but I just can't help myself. They were running a great sale, I had an extra 15% off coupon, and a $20 Kohl's cash certificate, so I ended up getting this $50 purse for $6!! Can't pass that up. Great colors for a summer bag, and even into fall with all the oranges and reds. I am one of those women who carry around everything but the kitchen sink with them, and a dainty little purse just won't do.


This morning I've been busy making pepper vinegar with all the many dozens of cayenne peppers my one little plant is producing. I have so many I don't know what to do with all of them. Pepper vinegar is a staple on the dinner table here in the South, and it's used on everything from collard greens to black-eyed peas. Frankly, I'm not sure what we'll use it on, as I don't make greens (James loves them but I think they're disgusting). But I had a few old bottles down in storage, so I thought I would give it a try. I know my dad used to use it, so I'll have to make a batch for him too.



Off to yoga in just a few minutes, hope everyone is having a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I always knew the cats would get on my kitchen counter while I wasn't home, so why make them miserable about it when I was around! I love your laundry room light - cute! And you know I'm a purse girl - but I've not been to Kohl's here yet. And your weather vane turned out great. I'm so glad you became a cat person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my dog, but I don't think we'll ever have one, we are away from home too much. The cats have proven they can take care of themselves while we're gone!

    ReplyDelete