Friday, March 27, 2009

Food for Thought


I don't know why I picked this photo, I saw it on my screensaver and it made me smile. This is a plate of local food that James ate when we were in St. Lucia in November. We spend a week in the Caribbean every year, and James is extremely adventurous when he eats. Not like fried grub worms or anything, but he wants to experience something different whenever we are in another country, something authentic. Me, I look for the pasta or hamburger plate. In my quest to lose weight and be healthier, I know it's about more than taking in less calories. For me, I have a hard time eating "quality" foods. I still eat the super-carb-alicious foods that I love, just smaller portions. Today? I had a frozen pretzel for lunch. Sigh. My mind knows I need to make better choices, eat whole foods and less processed snacks, but my hands reach for the baked chips or low-fat cookies when I go to the grocery store. So I've lost 11 pounds in the last few weeks? It wasn't by doing the right thing, I can assure you. I do love Weight Watchers and the tools they teach me, but I also know that I can't live off Lean Cuisines for the rest of my life. I love my subscription to Clean Eating Magazine, but unless I adopt that lifestyle and try to incorporate better foods into my way of thinking, and therefore my home, I might as well throw my copies into the recycle bin. My husband goes on a meat-free, all-veggies kick every once in a great while, but I get bored with salads for dinner every night. He says he would be satisfied if that's all we ever ate. Somewhere out there is a happy middle of the road between Burger King and becoming a vegan............

No comments:

Post a Comment