Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nita


This is my best friend Nita. We've known each other for about eight years now, but because we worked in the same office those eight years- not to mention emails, phone calls, and having gripe sessions at our local Panera- I probably spent more time talking to Nita than anyone else in my life. She was with me through all my troubles with the first marriage, my cancer scare in 2003, my divorce, and my new life with James. I haven't seen Nita since I moved in December, but we email nightly and still call each other, although long distance charges limit those calls. I still consider her my best friend, she's that person who lets me say outrageous things, vent my anger, gossip about co-workers, and will meet me for coffee to talk anytime I need to. But she is four hours away now, and I haven't found another "Nita" here in GA, and I doubt I will. Nita and I clicked right away, we started eating lunch together on my first day of work back in 2001, and except for vacations or weekends, we'd see each other every day until I moved. I really miss Nita a lot, emails and phone calls are great, but it doesn't take the place of seeing her smile first thing in the morning, or swat playfully at me when I say something awful but funny. Things have really gone awry at work lately, and it saddens me that I am not there with her to poke fun of it. We're not so far apart that we will never be able to see each other again, but it's not the same, and I miss her a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment