Monday, March 30, 2009

Newlyweds Still


I had to dig out my marriage license today to change my last name on my car title, and it struck me that although I talk about James like we've been together a half century, we've only been married a few years. James and I met at work in 2003, when I was getting separated after a miserable 12 years with my first husband. It was fireworks, sparks flying, violins playing, the earth moving- all of those cliches- when I saw him for the first time. I really hate that phrase "soul mate"- it is so cheesy- but I can't think of anything better to use when I describe how I felt when I met him. I actually fell in love with him before I even knew his name! We lived 45 miles apart in the beginning, but we saw each other as much as possible, away from work that is. James sold his house and got an apartment about 15 minutes away from my house, then we got engaged in 2005, married on a beach in Key West in February 2006. I can't imagine there is another woman out there as happy and as lucky as I am. James and I both had already been through crummy marriages in our past, and thankfully neither of us had children to tie us to our former spouses. It has been genuine smooth sailing since day one, and although it FEELS like we've been together since the beginning of time, and we've had enough experiences together that makes it seem like a lifetime already, we just only recently celebrated three years of very very blissful matrimony. Best of all, he's a younger man. Okay, only by five weeks, but he's still younger!!! (Wow, look at me with long red hair!)

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this. My Jim and I will celebrate our 19th anniversary next week. We both had horrible first marriages too. It seems like we've only been together a few years - he's so much fun and has the dreamiest eyes. Isn't love grand!

    ReplyDelete