Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Maarten's Rainy Day"


Well I've finally finished my little painting of Maarten. I was going to antique it with stain, but have decided against it. Normally I put my pieces on eBay or Etsy right away, but now with my new town having a monthly street fair, I am going to "stock up" on my art and give it a try. Since I started painting, sewing, making pottery, etc., I've either given everything away as a gift or sold it at craft fairs or more recently, online. I only own one piece of my cross-stitch, one of my pottery bowls, one handmade tile, and one painting. We're talking over 30 years of stuff. Family members always seem to be extra appreciative of my handmade gifts. Either that or they are being polite because they have to. I will miss Newnan's opening Market Day for 2009 this Saturday (we will be back in South Carolina checking on our old house that weekend- yes, we are a two-mortgage family right now), but I am super excited to see what it is like. Do a lot of crafters and artists set up? Are the crowds there and if so, are they buying or just looking?? In Florida in the 80's, street fairs were popular in my area and very successful. And I did a good business at flea markets as well. I tried to get it going in South Carolina, but it seemed like locals would rather go to Wal-Mart than buy handmade crafts. I don't know if it was just the area I lived in, or maybe simply a sign of the times. I cross my fingers in anticipation of future Market Days in Newnan, and hope that if I don't sell anything, at least I will have a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment