Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Last Big Drive








So roadtrip number three was on Thursday of our week of fun. On my last trip to Vegas, I drove from South Carolina to Vegas in a van with "the jerk ex", one labrador, and three rats (you read that right). We never went beyond Vegas, and so, I have never been to California!!! I told James I wanted to go, just to put it on my list of states I've visited, even if all we did was cross over the state line and drive back again. But James planned for a better outing for us. THIS trip was the highlight of our vacation. We went to Death Valley National Park, and I'm not sure either one of us knew what to expect. No arguing, we both thought Death Valley was more beautiful than the Grand Canyon, hands down. Scenery more spectacular than any I've ever seen- you folks who live out there are SO lucky to be near such an amazing landscape. I was taking dozens of photos of the mountains as we drove by. We stopped everywhere, including Scotty's Castle, Furnace Creek Ranch, and Stovepipe Wells. Our day in the park started with an absolutely delicious lunch at the charming Furnace Creek Inn. Only the views outside the window were better than the fig and prosciutto pizza. It was a fantastic day with unbelievable weather, and although I probably never will have the chance again to visit, I would drop everything in a heartbeat to go there again. And if you live in that area and you've never been, wow, what are you waiting for?! (misc photos from Death Valley, photo of the Inn courtesy their website)

No comments:

Post a Comment