Monday, April 6, 2009

Meal Prep


One of the things I am doing differently for this upcoming vacation is thinking ahead of how and what I'm going to eat. I can do as I always do and say "Eh, it's vacation, I'm going to eat whatever I want" and come back home ten pounds heavier. Or I can commit to eating light and healthy while I'm out in Las Vegas. That's not to say I won't be zipping into fast food joints- we can't afford to eat all of our meals out in fancy restaurants- and that's also not saying I won't sample a legendary Vegas buffet here and there. For the last week or so, I've been making notes in my Weight Watchers eating out guide, which has over 100 restaurants listed. And I've been onto one of my favorite websites which has almost 600 restaurants listed. I've even looked up all the restaurants and food kiosks at both the Atlanta and Las Vegas airports, so I will know what to expect. My plan is to carry my notes with me while we travel, so that I will have the information I need to make wise choices, no matter where we may end up. We plan to spend our first afternoon in town at a grocery store, stocking up on healthy snacks, bottled water, and breakfast items like yogurt and fruit to keep in our room. If not, I would be at the hotel restaurant devouring bacon and pancakes every morning. Our hotel (the Rio) supposedly has one of the best buffets in town, and I always overeat at buffets because I want to have a little taste of everything, and before I know it, I've had three full plates! I've got to put it into my mind that if the food available in Las Vegas is something I can get anywhere, anytime- like a burger or mac & cheese or pizza- then I am just going to have to remind myself I don't have to pig out just because I'm on vacation. (photo of the Colonel from our visit to St.Maarten, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment