Monday, April 6, 2009

Setting Goals


Last night I sat down and tried to decide what my goals were going to be for this year as far as my health goes. The most obvious places to start are my weight and my activity level. I have a serious problem with lack of energy, and it in turn negatively affects my mood and how I feel about myself and life. I've never been diagnosed with depression, but I have what I call "blue" days where I just can't get out of a "funk". On those days, my energy levels are low to zero, and I can't help but to think that feeling good physically equals feeling good emotionally. I've always loved to walk, either in my neighborhood or hiking at local parks or using my treadmill. My problem is I do it so sporadically that it doesn't make a difference in either my weight or my general health. Since joining back up with Weight Watchers, I know that if I don't exercise on a more regular, if not daily, basis I will never fully grow into the healthy individual I hope to become. I will be 43 this year, and my husband next year. Neither of us is at a healthy weight, and neither of us gets nearly enough exercise. We are couch potatoes every night. I've been reading the blogs by Jared (12 Million Steps) and Stephen (Who Ate My Blog?) and they are inspirations to me. Although I don't count steps as they do, I do have my treadmill to keep track of my mileage. At the bottom of my page I've set my goals for this year. Starting now until the end of the year, I hope to walk 900 miles. If I've calculated it correctly, it's a bit over 3 miles per day. I think I can manage that. I've set my weight goal as well, and although I will shoot for it as my ultimate goal, I'm not sure if I can reach that by the end of this year. But I'm going to keep my eye on it!! (I've included this very unflattering photo of me from just a few weeks ago, to keep me motivated!)

No comments:

Post a Comment