Saturday, May 2, 2009

And They're Off!!!



Today is the first Saturday of May, and that can mean only one thing to me. The Kentucky Derby!!! I've been watching this race ever since I was a little girl, and I haven't missed a year yet. I look forward to this quick two-minutes of history each and every May. I wait with anticipation to hear the call for "Riders Up!!!" the same way my husband wants his "Gentlemen start your engines!" every Sunday afternoon. I am a horse lover from birth, although I've never owned one and have very little actual experience being around them. I remember in elementary school making friends with a girl just because I found out she had horses, and I got to ride with her a few times. The last time I was on a horse, I was probably a teenager. Nonetheless, I am a fan. I've collected model horses (Breyer) since before I can remember. I doubt my future will see me lucky enough to own a horse, or even go to the Derby. But this afternoon, I can tell you my future will find me in front of the TV watching the parade of these beautiful, talented creatures as they head for the starting gate. (photos of previous winners Big Brown and Smarty Jones)

No comments:

Post a Comment