Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Three Course Meal For Under 350 Calories?!

After spending the afternoon searching through a few magazines, I've found the first of my "new recipe for the week" ideas (see the post about my goals). It comes from one of my issues of Clean Eating, and after reading this article, I decided I couldn't pass up this opportunity to try it out. The menu is: Sancocho (a South American chicken soup), Dilled Salmon Roll-Ups, and Roasted Sweet Potato Fries. Basically, a nice three course meal. Now here is the fantastic part. The whole entire meal only has 343 calories! Yes, you read that correctly. All three items combined only have 343 calories, 10 grams of fat (only 1.5 grams saturated), and 7 grams of fiber. And for you fellow Weight Watchers out there, all of it together is only 7 points. I don't know about anyone else, but I used to eat icky, very unsatisfying Lean Cuisines that were more calories and points than the above meal.

My culinary skills are basic at best (Chef Ramsay would call me a lazy BLEEP BLEEP donkey and throw me out of Hell's Kitchen on the first episode), and usually when I get in the kitchen I make a
mess no matter what I'm cooking. But I think even I can make this meal- soup, sandwich, fries. And best of all, because it comes from the pages of Clean Eating, all of the ingredients are fresh, whole foods. Folks, if you like eating healthy and want to get away from processed, pre-packaged foods, I urge you to check out Clean Eating magazine. (Yes, I know I mention the magazine a lot, and no I am not being paid for this endorsement!) I see it on newsstands all the time, it's not hard to find, I got my first issue at a Books-A-Million. Okay, I am not going to preach about that anymore.

I will let you all know how it turns out, it will be for one night next week. I think I'm going to surprise my husband with it (if he doesn't read my blog anytime soon). It will be a nice change from my boring baked chicken breasts with green beans and brown rice.


(deep fried sweet potato fries- I know they taste better, but are they really better for you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment