Monday, May 11, 2009

Wholesome Living

Well here we are into three weeks of eating whole, unprocessed foods, still hanging in there. It is a way of changing my mental relationship with food that I am going to have to deal with day after day, meal after meal. I admit that even after a couple of weeks without my precious 100-calorie snack packs, I do not crave them anymore. I haven't even given them another thought. And now that I am eating real, whole foods I find that I am hungry a lot less often. I used to think about grabbing a snack almost every hour, and I would watch the clock to see when it was time for lunch, time for dinner. Not anymore. This weekend we stopped at a farm stand and bought four quarts of strawberries. Last week it was an eight pound bag of oranges. We have fresh vegetables for dinner every single night. I have a big cup of ice water at my side no matter what I'm doing. I had a great weigh in at Weight Watchers last week, losing one and a half pounds. And after spending the weekend away from home, I weighed this morning to find another pound gone. Never have I gone away for the weekend and lost weight!! It was hard, especially the Sunday morning breakfast at Cracker Barrel. While I ignored the aromas of biscuits and country fried steak and hash brown casserole, I was happy with my small order of grits and toast. Normally I would leave Cracker Barrel so full I could barely breathe! I know we've got a long way to go, like incorporating more exercise into our lives, but we are working on it every day. We see the improvements already with just the small change of removing the fat free cookies and baked chips from our pantry. And for me, that is a huge step and breaking lifetime habits- and addictions in some instances! Tonight it's grilled fish soft tacos loaded up with fresh veggies. I can't wait to see how they turn out!



(back from the grocery store today- they gave me the two plants for free!)

No comments:

Post a Comment